FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Need some quick OGDCamp stats, or have a query about something? Here are a few frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the camp.
WHAT IS OGDCAMP IN A NUTSHELL?
- What: The world’s biggest open data event to date.
- When: 20-21st October, with satellite events from 17-26th October
- Where: Soho Factory, ul. Mińska 25, Warsaw, Poland
- Web: http://www.ogdcamp.org
- Twitter Hashtag: #ogdcamp
CAN I STILL REGISTER?
Yes! we have various ticket prices available at our registration page.
WHAT WAS LAST YEAR’S CAMP LIKE?
Open Government Data Camp 2010 took place in London last autumn. The event brought together civil servants, data journalists, civic hackers, advocacy groups and many others for two days of talks, workshops and project sprints. It was attended by representatives from over 30 countries. Numerous projects and initiatives were catalysed by the event, and it helped to give momentum to open data projects around the world. For post-event photos, livestream videos and first-hand accounts of #OGDCAMP 2010, go here.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE KEY TOPICS AT OGDCAMP?
This event is about what has been happening and what’s next for open data. There will be four main types of presentation at the camp:
- Lightning presentations – 5 minutes
- Talks – 10-15 minutes
- Sessions – 2-4 hours
- Satellite events in the days surrounding the camp – 1/2 day / full day
Topics could include (but are not limited to):
- Tools and Infrastructure for working with and using open data
- Apps: building applications and services with Open Data
- Linking and combining data sources
- Data wrangling: tools and infrastructure
- How to run an open data initiative inside or outside government
- How to build open data communities
- Successes and failures
Government, Communities and Citizens
- Evidence for the impact of open data
- Law and policy of Open Data
WHAT ARE THE CAMP’S MAIN GOALS?
OGDCamp has 4 key objectives:
- Building consensus – around core open data principles and values.
- Building community – expand and strengthen international open data community.
- Sharing ideas – on the future of open data and how we can do things better.
- Making things – from starting projects, to making plans, to writing code.
WHO IS BEHIND THE CAMP?
Open Government Data Camp is run as collaborative partnership between key stakeholders in the open government data community around the world. Find out more here.
ARE THERE TRAVEL BURSARIES?
We have several travel bursaries with various deadlines available to support participants who could otherwise note afford to attend the camp, including:
- A European bursary for EU27 citizens and residents traveling from within Europe, provided by the European Commission.
- An international bursary.
- A US bursary, provided by the Sunlight Foundation.
Full details are available here.
CAN I SUBMIT A SESSION PROPOSAL?
The deadline for submissions was 21st Sept at 23:59 CEST, but if you have something especially exciting to share with us, feel free to do so here.
HOW DO I CONTACT OTHER CAMP ATTENDANTS?
If you’re interested in talking with others interested in open government data around the world, you can introduce yourself on the open-government mailing list here.
You can also follow developments on Twitter (and be sure to say hi too!) using the hashtag #ogdcamp.
I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!
If you have any questions for the organising team, please contact us here. In the meantime, we look forward to meeting you in Warsaw!